Mentors provide new adult learners with the guidance they need when life interferes with learning, the opportunity to know someone is supporting their efforts, and the encouragement and just-in-time help they need to persist and complete each step of the way. Mentors should be patient, have strong listening and communication skills, and should be able to commit to weekly meetings with their learner and a once-monthly meeting with their Mentor Manager. Mentors themselves gain valuable experiences and recognitions they can add to their resume as well as the opportunity to help others and strengthen communities.
This initiative is put forth by the Mayor’s Commission on Literacy, which works to create opportunities that will support Philadelphians’ attainment of knowledge, skills, and credentials that lead to jobs and family-sustaining careers.
As a part of these efforts to advance workforce literacy at the neighborhood level, the Commission collaborates with adult education agencies to engage volunteer Mentors.
· Must be at least 18 years of age.
· Desire to help an adult learner achieve his/her goals.
· Ability to communicate effectively with learner.
· Commitment to persist through duration of the program.
· Ability to document relevant activity.
· Willingness to travel to a location that hosts a mentoring program.
· 6-month commitment
· Complete required training.
· Provide support and guidance to learners.
· Meet or communicate with learners at least once per week, ideally with one learner for at least 10 weeks.
· Document interactions with learners by completing and submitting mentor log.
· Attend monthly Mentor meetings to share experiences and receive training.
· By supporting new learners through personal and educational experiences, Mentors will have the opportunity to reflect on the strengths and qualities that enable success.
· Mentors can gain a sense of empowerment in helping others to reach their goals well as in helping to foster a ‘culture of learning’ in their communities.
· Opportunity to receive a $1500 scholarship to Peirce College.
Contact us today to get started.