Programs & Services
The Office of Adult Education (formerly the Mayor’s Commission on Literacy) is proud of its initiatives to engage adult education agencies, learners, residents, community based organizations, Philadelphia’s corporate community, and every entity throughout the city in its work to ensure quality literacy education is available for all adult learners in Philadelphia as they pursue post-secondary education and family-sustaining employment. Our services include:
- Enroll adult learners in basic education, CSSD, GED®, and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes in their neighborhood or online through myPLACE℠
- Provide professional development for adult educators as well as technical assistance and support to scores of adult education providers. One of our largest programs is the annual Technology in Adult Education Conference, at which hundreds of professionals convene each Spring to discover trends and best practices in infusing technology into adult education instruction.
- Recruit and train volunteers to serve as adult literacy tutors and mentors.
- Oversee free public computing labs called KEYSPOTs. To find a KEYSPOT near you, call 311 or visit phillykeyspots.org.
- Lead the Philadelphia Adult Literacy Alliance, a membership group of hundreds of adult literacy professionals, organizations, and advocates.
- Develop partnerships to leverage resources benefiting the adult literacy and workforce development systems.
- Advise on public policies that help people put adults on a pathway to learning and earning.